Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Loyalty to one's country, or Loyalty to one's conscience

A distinction must be made between loyalty to one's country and loyalty to one's heart. I will use myself as an example. I am from Guam and although I am from Irish and German stock, I consider myself to be a native Chamorro. On the other hand, I am also a United States citizen, and an American. Many Americans' are loyal to the United States, however, some have expressed that in their heart, they do not agree with recent and even past policies that are made by those in the halls of Congress and the Oval Office. Humankind does have a moral conscience, or so I'd like to believe.

We were concerned when our President, against the will of the people, decided to invade a country, which seems to have personal overtones rather than actual legitimate reasons. But my opinion is just this-- an opinion. All are entitled to express themselves in whatever means they choose.

Once again, I must choose between my loyalty to my country and what I know in my heart to be wrong. Recently, Secretary of State nominee Condoleezza Rice went on record saying that at the time, the U.S. was prepared to invade Iraq, furthermore, was prepared for all contingencies which would include post-war containment and reconstruction. But the facts speak for themselves and this would lead me and others to believe that she is misdirecting the American public or actually believes her own truth, and in this sense, she too has loyalty, but to her President and not to her country.

Foreign policy has reached complicated proportions and although the United States remains the most powerful nation, it cannot control the entire world.

North Korea, Iran, Zimbabwe, Cuba and other nation states have their own political agenda which does not jive with U.S. policies and the role it plays in the international arena-- that of Big Brother. How many more shallow decisions will come from the Oval Office? Only time will tell.

I suppose the question of the day is, what is going on with Iran and what plans are being made, if any? I'd like to put North Korea in the mix as well, since Guam is a neighbor of this nation state. Comprehensive foreign policies must be of the utmost importance during this new term for Mr. President. Think tanks such as the CATO Institute and the Heritage Foundation are sure to have much to write about as George Bush, once again, takes his seat in the Oval Office. An election was won. Let us hope that we put the right person in office.

This is my observation and opinion and anyone who cares to comment may do so, of course.

6 Comments:

Blogger Laane said...

It's a matter of priorities: loyalty to a country or loyalty to ones conscience.

And what does loyalty mean?

For many people loyalty means blindly agreeing with whatever happens.

But when one is asked to describe a loyal friend, one also says that loyalty means, among other characteristics, trying to get the other person strive for full positive development.
One is willing to accept a time of standstill, and evenb a change for the worse to some degree, but when the friend changes into someone who seems to have a different set of values and a different conscience, one decides to end the friendship.

Just some thoughts...

7:02 PM  
Blogger Dakini said...

This is a comment in regards to what you wrote at the begining of this post:

"A distinction must be made between loyalty to one's country and loyalty to one's heart. I will use myself as an example. I am from Guam and although I am from Irish and German stock, I consider myself to be a native Chamorro. On the other hand, I am also a United States citizen, and an American."

I just wanted to share with you that I am thoroughly enjoying your blog. And I have a little story I would like to share with you, only fair as yo uare sharing so much with everyone on your blog. :)

I am also American and born from German/French/Scotish/Irish stock. However I was born on the Island of Guam back in 1975. When I was born, I was born at 26 weeks gestation and also technically dead. I was not breathing nor did I have a pulse. The Native doctors there choose to fight for my little life as did I. Being so tiny I had no lung development yet and was given blood transfusions for oxygen. The blood for the transfusions did not come from my own family as they did not have my blood type. Yet instead it came from the Native Islanders that my parents knew very well. My cells were still in the developmental stages and I believe that those Native Islanders who gave their life blood for me to live are still within me now. My cells needed their blood in order to grow strong and fully form. So I will always consider myself Chamorro.

As for the rest, good post!

11:14 AM  
Blogger ninest123 Ninest said...

ninest123 11.24
louboutin uk, nike outlet, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet online, nike air max, ralph lauren polo, longchamp bags, replica watches, christian louboutin, uggs outlet, burberry factory outlet, tiffany jewelry, uggs on sale, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors handbags, burberry outlet, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, gucci handbags, oakley sunglasses, cheap jordans, ralph lauren outlet, tiffany jewelry, louis vuitton, uggs outlet, replica watches, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, michael kors, prada outlet, uggs on sale, christian louboutin, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet online, louboutin shoes, uggs on sale, nike free, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet store, longchamp outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses

5:28 PM  
Blogger ninest123 Ninest said...

north face pas cher, ray ban uk, polo lacoste pas cher, nike air max, nike air max uk, vanessa bruno pas cher, nike roshe uk, nike roshe run pas cher, abercrombie and fitch UK, nike air force, michael kors, michael kors outlet online, polo ralph lauren uk, true religion outlet, lululemon outlet, new balance, timberland pas cher, louboutin pas cher, michael kors uk, nike tn pas cher, hogan sito ufficiale, hermes pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, nike free pas cher, vans pas cher, nike air max pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, nike air max uk, abercrombie and fitch, lunette oakley pas cher, true religion outlet, true religion jeans, coach outlet, burberry pas cher, sac guess pas cher, converse, north face uk, nike trainers uk, nike free, true religion outlet, hollister uk, mulberry uk, coach outlet store online, coach purses, michael kors, lunette ray ban pas cher, longchamp pas cher, longchamp soldes, jordan pas cher

5:30 PM  
Blogger ninest123 Ninest said...

supra shoes, coach outlet, bottes ugg pas cher, moncler, converse shoes outlet, canada goose pas cher, canada goose uk, juicy couture outlet, juicy couture outlet, moncler pas cher, sac louis vuitton, links of london uk, swarovski jewelry, sac louis vuitton, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, toms shoes, canada goose jackets, karen millen uk, montre pas cher, lancel, canada goose, moncler, uggs outlet, michael kors outlet, moncler uk, ugg uk, barbour, thomas sabo uk, wedding dresses uk, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, canada goose outlet, doke & gabbana, barbour jackets uk, replica watches, ugg pas cher, louis vuitton uk, moncler outlet, pandora charms, swarovski uk, marc jacobs, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, canada goose jackets, moncler, pandora uk, moncler jackets, moncler, hollister, pandora jewelry, canada goose

5:32 PM  
Blogger ninest123 Ninest said...

abercrombie and fitch, nike roshe run, soccer shoes, oakley, wedding dresses, polo ralph lauren, nike air max, nike air max, vans scarpe, valentino shoes, vans outlet, herve leger, p90x workout, beats by dre, iphone 5s cases, soccer jerseys, hollister, ray ban, instyler ionic styler, iphone cases, bottega veneta, insanity workout, s6 cases, timberland boots, giuseppe zanotti, jimmy choo outlet, iphone 6s plus cases, iphone 6 cases, mcm handbags, converse, reebok outlet, babyliss pro, louboutin, lululemon outlet, chi flat iron, mont blanc, new balance shoes, iphone 6 plus cases, north face outlet, salvatore ferragamo, mac cosmetics, asics running shoes, ghd hair, north face outlet, hollister clothing, softball bats, nfl jerseys, hermes handbags, ipad cases, celine handbags, gucci, iphone 6s cases
ninest123 11.24

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home